Summer may have started here in Pardeeville, and with July 4th just a few days away, we’re already just ELEVEN WEEKS away from this year’s Watermelon Festival!
So, here’s 11 things to get you ready for this year’s festival:
- Elaine Hepler broke the world record (Youth 6-11) in seed-spitting last year with a spit of 27′-1″.
- Tim and Rebecca Swartz of Taylor, WI, won Mixed doubles with a combined seed-spit of 86′-4″, which broke the world record set back in 1986 by Kent Berney and Michelle Panucci with a combined total of 72′-6″.
- Shanda and Justin Briant won speed-eating last year with 7.91 seconds and 5.75 seconds (respectfully).
- Last year’s attendance was the best ever, estimated around 2000.
- This year’s festival marks our 51st festival. (2018-1968 = 50 years, but 51 festivals)
- Clark Hodgson still holds the world record spit in the Men’s Open category with 61′-3″ set back in 1988.
- Shanda Kratz (now Briant) still holds the world record in speed-eating with 3.57 seconds, set back in 2010.
- Some of the original official championship rules are still in effect, including: People who wear dentures, whose teeth go further than the seed shall abide by judges decision: Distance seed travels is the only thing that counts. Poly-grip available on request.
- Our volunteers and sponsors are what keep our festival continuing to grow every year. See last year’s list here.
- Make sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Google+ for upcoming details on this year’s festival. All our social links are below.
- And to wrap up our list, WE’RE ONLY 11 WEEKS AWAY! So get training!
See you all there,